Ever since visiting Tamper in Sheffield a couple of months ago, my love for coffee has been taken to a whole new level. So to celebrate this delicious caffeinated drink I’ve come up with a simple recipe for vegan coffee cupcakes…
Ingredients (makes 12):
For the cakes:
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
6 tbsp water
2 tbsp instant espresso powder mixed with 2 tsp water
50g vegan spread
150g light brown soft sugar
100ml almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
For the icing:
120g vegan spread
300g icing sugar, sieved
1 tbsp instant espresso powder mixed with 1 tsp water
1/2 tsp vanila extract
1. Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a cupcake tray with twelve cases.
2. Combine the flaxseed and water and leave to soak for five minutes (it will thicken to make the equivalent of two flax “eggs”). In a small dish, mix together the espresso powder and 2tsp water and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the vegan spread and sugar. Add the almond milk, vanilla extract, flour and baking powder. Finally add the flax “eggs” and espresso mixture. Mix to combine.
4. Divide between cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. To make the icing, beat together the vegan spread with the icing sugar, espresso paste and vanilla extract. Pipe in swirls on top of the cakes, then decorate with any toppings of your choice.
The ingredients should be relatively easy to source, and it shouldn’t be too difficult a recipe to follow. I’ve kept the coffee flavour relatively prominent, but you can easily reduce the amount of espresso powder added if you prefer a weaker flavour. Good luck and enjoy!