Berry Oatmeal Smoothie Bowls
You’ll probably know by now that I’m a total breakfast lover, particularly in the case of smoothie bowls. With all of the various nutritional benefits of oats and oat milk (which I’ve recently discovered and am absolutely loving), I thought I’d find a way to add them into my smoothie bowls to give them a little extra boost.
I added some cashew butter too, which is a great source of magnesium, amino acids and various healthy fats (although it doesn’t contain any omega-3 fatty acids, so be sure to top your smoothie bowls with plenty of chia seeds to get these into your breakfast). The high level of antioxidants in goji berries makes them another brilliant topping too (and they taste divine so it’s a definite win-win!).
Anyway, enough about the boring health stuff - here’s the recipe!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 bananas (one frozen, one fresh*)
- 150g frozen berries
- 125ml oat milk
- 1 tbsp cashew nut butter
- 50g jumbo rolled oats
- optional: 1 tbsp agave nectar
- chia seeds
- goji berries
* Having previously broken a food processor by using it too far when blitzing frozen food, I find it much easier to use a fresh banana to help ease the burden on the machine.
- The night before, chop the banana into slices and freeze.
- In a blender, blitz the frozen banana and fresh banana with the oat milk.
- Add the jumbo rolled oats, agave nectar and cashew nut butter then blitz again.
- Add the frozen berries and blend until completely smooth. If the smoothie appears too thick simply add a little extra oat milk.
- Divide between two bowls and serve with any toppings of your choice.
As I always say, smoothie bowls are super flexible so it’s easy enough to vary quantities and ingredients without having drastic effects on the recipe. Don’t worry if you can’t find oat milk - any other type of non-dairy (or dairy if you’re not vegan) will do. You can swap the cashew nut butter for any other nut butter of your choice, or just leave it out if you’re allergic to nuts.
Yet again my beloved coconut bowls have appeared (you may remember them for all of these posts!) and I would still 100% recommend getting yourself some - they’re honestly just the best! Let me know your thought on these smoothie bowls if you give them a go, and if you have any ideas for other flavours I could experiment with then I’d love to hear them too.