Bye Bye Highers
All of my Higher exams are finally over - yay 🎉! It’s been such a busy year (particularly in the last couple of months) and it’s such a relief to have it done at last. But as relieved as I am, I’m almost in shock too and feel a little lost at what to do. I’ve been prepping for these exams pretty much continuously for the last year (well, you could even say my whole life as Highers are the most important exams that Scottish high school students sit) and suddenly they are now over before I’d even really processed I was doing them. It’s terrifying to think there’s nothing more I can do to change the result that’s on my university application, but let’s not think about that - just got to wait until 7th August for the results...
As much as I’d love to be jumping around and celebrating the end of my exams, instead I find myself feeling emotional and exhausted 😫. It’s been such a draining year to simultaneously keep up with all of the coursework and navigate my rollercoaster of emotions too. It almost feels like I’ve been on my last reserves for the past couple of weeks, and to top it all off I’ve been sleeping pretty badly as well 😴.
Yet despite all this I’ve made it through my exams! That’s probably due to a variety of things…
- Getting a little (who am I kidding, a lot of) motivation listening (and singing) to The Greatest Showman soundtrack on the way to every single one of my exams 🎶.
- Smoothie bowls 😍. You all know I’m completely obsessed with these (check out these posts for my different recipes) and I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had so many smoothie bowls in my life as I have in the last three weeks!
- Having lots of lovely little conversations with people before and after exams (a huge help in distracting me from the prospect of the actual exam themselves).
- Walking around Kilmardinny Loch many times for a little breath of fresh air - check out this post for more details about this beautiful location 🌳.
- Doing yoga to keep calm and help me to relax (just another attempt at persuading you to give it a go in case this post didn’t already do so!) 🧘♀️.
- Admiring (and photographing) all of the beautiful cherry blossom trees blooming in the streets 🌸.
- Trying lots of new vegan food places with my parents (particularly my mum) - keep an eye out for my Foodie Highlights post at the end of this month for more details 🥑!
So now I have two whole weeks to myself to catch up on sleep and completely relax, before starting off my sixth year timetable and my final year at high school (aaaaaaaaaa!!!). I’m having a mini trip away with family to Paris soon 🇫🇷 (I’m soooo excited - prepare for many blog posts!) and I can’t wait to have some time to catch up with friends, work on developing my blog (any post ideas would be much appreciated) and just take time to look after myself and recover from the most stressful school year of my life (I’m hoping doing some more yoga will help with this!).
As cringeworthy as it is, I’d really like to take a minute to thank everyone who’s helped me through the year (both in education and just life in general): my teachers who’ve been amazing at helping me through coursework and the final exams 🤓, my family for supporting me in EVERYTHING and my friends for sticking with me even when I’m being a total pain at times. I also want to thank every single one of you who reads my blog: your kind and encouraging messages and comments have been so lovely to read and really boosted my mood whenever I’m feeling down 😊.
Best of luck to anyone who still has exams left to go - if you’re looking for any tips check out this post to help with your studying. For all of you who are now exam free like me, enjoy! As exhausted as I am, I can hardly contain my excitement now that summer is so close and I’m actually free to go outside and enjoy the sunny weather rather than be stuck indoors revising ☀️. If anyone has any recommendations for things to do (or vegan places to eat) in Paris then please let me know in the comments.