Is it just me, or does anyone else love having a cup of coffee to kickstart their day? Given my love of both smoothie bowls and lattes for breakfast, I thought I’d branch out from my typical fruity smoothie bowls and try a new ingredient: coffee. I’ve added a few dates as well for a little extra sweetness (almost like having a syrup), so here’s the recipe…
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 3 bananas (2 frozen, 1 fresh)
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- 8-10 dates
- 150ml soya milk
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- chia seeds
- cocoa nibs
- espresso powder
- goji berries
- The night before, slice and freeze the bananas.
- Blitz the bananas in a blender.
- Add the espresso powder and flaxseed, then blend again.
- Finally add the dates and soya milk before blitzing until smooth.
- Divide between two bowls, top with whatever you choose and serve.
The coffee flavour definitely came through in these bowls (as did the syrup-like sweetness of the dates), but luckily it wasn’t too strong for my liking - if you prefer a stronger coffee flavour, simply add more espresso powder!
I had a fab time experimenting with this and I’d love to hear your thoughts if you give the recipe a go. Let me know if you have any ideas for other obscure smoothie bowl flavours too. Hope you’re all having a fab start to summer!