Yay - it’s nearly Friday! And tomorrow isn’t just any old Friday… it’s also national banana bread day in the US! As far as I’m aware we don’t have a banana bread day for the UK, so I thought I’d join in with the American celebrations and share my own vegan chocolate chip banana bread recipe.*
* I know I’m sharing this a day early, but I figured it meant you’d have time to gather ingredients and make this recipe so you can celebrate banana bread day on the official day!
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6tbsp water)
- 3 bananas, preferably ripe
- 220g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g coconut sugar
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g vegan spread
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 100g dark chocolate **
** Not all dark chocolate is vegan so remember to check the packaging - it’s usually okay if it’s 70% or over.
- Preheat the oven to approximately 160C. Grease a loaf tin with vegan spread and line with baking paper.
- Make the flax eggs by mixing together flaxseed meal and water, and leave for 5-10 mins to thicken.
- Meanwhile, mash the bananas and break the dark chocolate into chunks.
- Mix together all ingredients, adding the dark chocolate at the very end.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf tin and bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Allow 15 minutes (if you can wait that long!) for the cake to cool before turning out of loaf tin and eating.
All in all it’s a pretty quick and simple recipe. If non-vegan, feel free to use normal eggs rather than flax eggs and butter instead of vegan spread. Brown rice syrup can easily be swapped for a couple of dates, agave nectar, maple syrup, honey or golden syrup. And if you can’t find coconut sugar then light brown soft sugar or caster sugar works just as well.
Personally, it’s one of my favourite recipes to bake and I love the little addition of chocolate too - it just makes it a little more special than your average banana bread. If you’re someone who doesn’t like bananas I can guarantee it’s still worth giving this a go - my brother (who hates bananas more than any other food ever) absolutely loves this banana bread so if he can, I’m sure you will too!
Let me know your thoughts if you give this recipe a go, or if you have any other recommendations for banana bread. Any requests for future baking recipes would also be much appreciated and I’ll do my best to figure them out.
Hope you have a brilliant banana bread day!